The Virtue Ethics Defense of Animals: Reading and Discussion
(917) 543-2208 or email email@example.com
Ethics, Humans, and Other Animals
An Introduction with readings
by Rosalind Hursthouse
Including selections by Peter Singer, Tom Regan, Mary Midgely, Roger Scruton, Stephen Clark, Andrew Linzey, Bernard Rollin, & Richard Ryder
Sunday, Jan 2, 2011, 3PM-7PM :
Chapter #6 : "The Virtue Ethics Defence of Animals" (Pages 158-166)
Directions: Subway - 4/5/6 or 7 to 42nd St/ Grand Central Terminal/ Lexington Ave or Times Square Shuttle (S) to Grand Central-Park Ave)
Bus - M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M42, M98, M101, M102, M104, Q32
Can't find us? Call (917) 543-2208. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Rosalind Hursthouse carefully introduces one of three standard approaches in current ethical theory: utilitarianism, rights, and virtue ethics. She then proceeds to clearly explain how each approach encourages us to think about our treatment of animals. Every chapter is linked to a reading from a key exponent of each approach.
'Clear, insightful look at all sides of the argument about our treatment of animals.'
- Sunday Times
'Anyone who seriously worked through this book would become a very careful and critical thinker.'
- Nathan Nobis, Ph.D, Department of Philosophy & Religion, Moorehouse College
Reading the text in advance is strongly encouraged, but feel free to come even if you can't do the reading – we will do a critical reread at each meeting.
HELP CHOOSE THE NEXT BOOK WE READ!
VOTE ONLINE AT http://readanimalethics.blogspot.com/
About the Animal Ethics Reading and Discussion Group
A new project designed to help animal advocates:
Explore animal ethics through reading and discussion.
Clarify our ideas and become better spokespeople for the movement.
Sign up for announcements of future readings and other events at:
Join us as we begin our first series of readings!
To initiate our group, we'll begin with a series of anthologies,
giving us exposure to a broad range of authors and perspectives
Upcoming books may include:
* The Great Ape Project: Equality Beyond Humanity
* Animals, Men, and Morals
* In Defense of Animals (1st Edition)
* In Defense of Animals: The Second Wave
* The Feminist Care Tradition in Animal Ethics: A Reader
* Ethics and Animals
* Animal Rights: A Symposium
* Political Theory and Animal Rights
* Animal Rights: The Changing Debate
* Animal Ethics Reader
* Beyond Animal Rights: A Feminist Caring Ethic for Animals
* Animal Rights and Human Obligations (1st & 2nd Editions)
* On the Fifth Day: Animal Rights and Human Ethics
* and more!
Find descriptions of these and other books on animals and ethics at www.snipurl.com/animalbooks.